Unsightly gum recession is a process in which the gum tissue retracts away from teeth, exposing its roots. When left untreated, severe exposure may result in bone loss and ultimately tooth loss. Exposed root surfaces may be sensitive and are more prone to decay. Conventional methods require a graft from the palate (roof of mouth) to be sutured over the exposed root surfaces.
What causes gum recession?:
- Periodontal disease – bacteria causes inflammation, bone loss and recession
- Aggressive brushing – using a hard bristled tooth brush with too firm pressure
- Tobacco chew – toxic chemical additives “burn” gum tissue and may be cancerproducing
- Grinding and clenching of teeth – causes flexure of teeth under extreme pressure
- Crooked teeth – produces excessive uneven force on bone and gums
The Chao Pinhole® Surgical Technique was invented and patented by John Chao, DDS. Dr. Carla Yamashiro has been certified by Dr. Chao in this patented technique. The Pinhole® Surgical Technique is a scalpel-free, suture-free, graft-free treatment option for receding gums. Dr. Chao specially designed instruments that navigate through a“pin-sized” hole to gently loosen the gums to reposition them to cover the exposed root surface.
Benefits of the Pinhole® Surgical Technique:
- Gum recession can be corrected in as single visit
- Minimal discomfort and swelling in most cases because this method is scalpel-free,suture-free and graft-free
- No donor site needed because of this graft-free technique
- Pinholes heal in 24 hours in most cases
- Can prevent tooth loss
- Can enhance appearance, look more youthful and attractive
- Back to normal light activities in 24-48 hours in most cases